Avocado Toast with Roasted Butternut Squash Recipe
Ahh can you smell that? The scintillating freedom of enjoying avocado toast and not worrying about the future economic repercussions?
In a recent visit with my parents, my mom shared with me her new love of her go-to lunch: avocado toast. Now, my mom is a responsible woman and waited until after she paid off her mortgage to start indulging in such creamy, crunchy luxury.
Us? No. The time is now.
My partner and I have spent the last 2 years living with his sister as we joined a new community and launched our new business. This co-habitation arrangement has been kind to our wallets and has been an overall enjoyable experience allowing us to enjoy Avocado Toast whenever we please. We also get to pretend we have a puppy without the responsibility (Chloe, Jenna's adorable chocolate lab), which has been the (chocolate) icing on the cake.
However, recently we took the plunge and bought our first home. Now, we may not be as quite as fiscally responsible as my mom. We choose to enjoy our avocado toast now!
But can we have it all? A home and avocado toast? The answer...YES!
While shopping at our local Nature's Fare Market, I happened upon the most beautiful looking loaf of pumpernickel bread from Master Bakery in Kelowna. This bread has turned into a staple of ours and is absolutely one of our go-to choices.
Look at how beautiful that bread is! Two types of whole grains and three types seeds can make me feel more secure than four walls and a roof any day.
Avocado toast is the perfect easy vegan recipe for a quick and healthy lunch or snack. In all honesty this easy avocado recipe will not break the bank and is a definite Sunday brunch crowd-pleaser. Why not add some bubbles? The Monte Creek Split Decision Blueberry/Grape Sparkling is our personal recommendation.
What you'll need (2 servings):
- 4 thick slices of beautiful fresh bread (pictured is pumpernickel bread from our local Nature's Fare)
- 3 tbsp Local Pulse Chipotle & Lime Black Bean Instant Hummus
- 2-3 ripe avocados
- 1 tsp chili flakes in oil, or hot sauce (optional)
- fresh ground black pepper
- pinch of salt
- roasted squash garnish (optional)
What to do:
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C)
- slice your bread nice and thick (buy un-sliced fresh bread and slice it yourself about one inch thick)
- toast bread in oven for 5 minutes on a cookie sheet
- mix 3 tbsp of Local Pulse Chipotle & Lime Black Bean Instant Hummus powder with 1/4 C hot water
- remove toasted bread from oven and spread the reconstituted black bean dip evenly on one side of each slice, place back in the oven for another 5 minutes
- cut avocados in half, remove pit and scoop out avocado flesh into a bowl
- add the chili flakes or hot sauce, black pepper and salt to the avocado and mash with a fork
- remove the bread from the oven and place 2 toasted slices on each plate
- spread the mashed avocado on top of the black bean dip
- garnish with roasted squash and fresh ground black pepper
For the optional roasted squash garnish:
- preheat oven to 400F (205C)
- cut an acorn or butternut squash in half and scoop out seeds and goop with a spoon
- place halves face down on cutting board and carefully cut away peel
- slice the squash into 1 cm slices
- lay the squash slices evenly on a greased baking sheet
- season with salt and pepper
- roast squash in oven for 15-20 minutes, flipping half way
- keep the roasted slices in a sealed container in the fridge for up to a week to add a slice of deliciousness to your sandwiches and salads!
We hope you enjoy this good for you avocado breakfast for any time of day! Take a photo of your final results and tag us @localpulse.