One of Our Favourite Vegan Recipes: Soul-Soothing African Peanut Stew by Oh She Glows (Angela Liddon)
We would love to share one of our favourite easy vegan recipes with our PEAps. if you are vegan or interested in adding more meatless meals to your week, we highly recommend you check out recipes by Angela Liddon, author of the blog Oh She Glows. We can't recommend Angela's recipes enough. They are palette pleasing and wallet savvy. Angela focuses on using whole-foods, non-pretentious ingredients to craft meals, snacks and desserts that will please your whole family!
Oh She Glows has been a huge source plant-based inspiration for the Local Pulse team. We religiously refer to both of her cookbooks (Oh She Glows Cookbook and it's sequel Oh She Glows Every Day) when we want easy plant-based meals that won't blow our weekly food budget.
This easy and scrumptious meal is packed with protein from chickpeas (a pulse) and peanuts (almost a pulse). The flavours in this stew are so comforting. It's the perfect dish to warm you up on a chilly day!
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded, if desired, and diced (optional)
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and chopped into ½-inch pieces
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes, with their juices
- Fine-grain sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ⅓ cup natural peanut butter
- 4 cups vegetable broth, plus more as needed
- 1½ tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 handfuls baby spinach or destemmed, torn kale leaves
- Fresh cilantro or parsley leaves, for serving
- Roasted peanuts, for serving
1. In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté for about 5 minutes, or until the onion is translucent.
2. Add the bell pepper, jalapeño (if using), sweet potato, and tomatoes with their juices. Raise the heat to medium-high and simmer for 5 minutes more. Season the vegetables with salt and black pepper.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the peanut butter and 1 cup of the vegetable broth until no clumps remain. Stir the mixture into the vegetables along with the remaining 3 cups broth, chili powder, and the cayenne (if using).
4. Cover the pan with a lid and reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer for 10 to 20 minutes, or until the sweet potato is fork-tender.
5. Stir in the chickpeas and spinach and cook until the spinach is wilted. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
6. Ladle the stew into bowls and garnish with cilantro and roasted peanuts.
Have some leftover cooked rice? This soup is fabulous with some stirred in.
Servings: Makes 6 servings
Excerpted from The Oh She Glows Cookbook: Vegan Recipes to Glow from the Inside Out by Angela Liddon. Copyright © 2014 Glo Bakery Corporation. Published by Penguin Canada, a division of Penguin Random House Canada Limited.